Tuesday, August 12

The Dot

The Dot is my favorite book about teaching art to children - actually about teaching anything.


The story starts with Vashti who sits in art class with a blank page, convinced she can't draw a thing.


Her teacher suggests she just start with a mark. Vashti draws a dot. The next day she walks into to art class and discovers her dot framed.


Looking at her dot, Vashti knows she can draw a better dot. So she does. And so it continues.

In the end she meets another student who says he can't draw. Vashti knows just how to help.


Such an elegant example of brilliant teaching.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love.
What a great story and life lesson.
a.

Laurel said...

I wish I'd read this book!! I was always keenly aware as a child that I "couldn't draw." My 6th grade teacher even told me drawing "was not my forte." Sigh. My self esteem regarding artistic/creative matters is still very low.

Lisa said...

That looks like an amazing book. Going to reserve it right now for the library. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot about this book! Isn't it great? I need to get a copy for my girls!

Jessica said...

We are so very much the same person!!! It always amazes me. For my birthday my very best friend gave me "Ish" by Peter Reynolds, and I just love the book. It is along the same theme of "The Dot" and is the perfect book for big and little kids.

' said...

I love this book! We gave this book to Robbie's preschool teacher for a thank you gift.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to get this! What a great story!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

You are brilliant! I have featured you today on Today's Creative Blog. Please email me if you'd like your blinkie button that all featured bloggers get.
krjdemmon@comcast.net

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

I've never seen that book - sounds neat!

Just say Julie said...

What a cool book. May have to snag that for my classroom. I found you on TCB and will be checking back often. Love the muffin tin themes!

Anonymous said...

It's on my list for Christmas gifts- Thanks for the recommendation! Congrats on being the featured blog on TCB!

Amber said...

I love this book! So simple, but the message is so meaningful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...