On Saturday I finished repairing my SIL's quilt. Thanks to Marf who shared her machine - complete with a zig zag stitch! Crazy as it sounds, my sewing machine doesn't have a zig zag. You haven't met her yet, but she's a Singer Feather Weight. Yes, she's darling, yes, she's tiny.
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I did fuse the rips. It was trickier than I expected. The fusible web, due to it's flimsiness, was hard to slide into the rips. I did the best I could - the smaller rips were impossible though. The rips look pretty much the same, but are in fact stable. The zig zag worked like a charm. I used 100% cotton thread. Thanks for the tip, Amanda! I ended up having to cut the original ties due to the zig zag. It was a snap to retie and in most cases I could even use the existing holes.
This project was a labor of love for sure. I kept thinking about the repairs my mom has made to my childhood quilt. I think she replaced the flannel on one side 3 times!