Finished up the Christmas cookies last night. I didn't make any last year so I was especially eager to bake this year. I made 3 kinds - each a staple in my Christmas cookie repertoire.
Thumb prints. These are much darker than usual due to the brown sugar. They are just as delicious, however.
Luxie Cakes (aka Russian Tea Cakes) I just couldn't see following the traditional recipe and using walnuts when I'm living in the land where hazelnuts reign supreme. I used the recipe in Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook Book but substituted hazelnuts for walnuts. It's a nice change.
Here's what new with us -
1) We bought a car. It's a 2001 silver, BMW station wagon. We purchased it from one of Bryce's colleagues who is returning to the U.S. He bought it 2.5 years ago in Germany. We returned our Renault Laguna rental car yesterday.
2) We were invited over for lunch by the parents of one of Eva's classmates. They are English, also have 2 girls and have been in Luxembourg since August. It was such a nice afternoon. The 4 girls played wonderfully together as did the 4 adults. This was our first social engagement since we arrived in Lux on Nov. 5th.
3) Audrey and I joined a playgroup last Tuesday. A parent from Eva's school invited us. The group was formed through moms who met in the American Women's Club of Luxembourg. There are about 8 moms. The kids range in age from 18 months to 2.5 years old. The women were very nice and welcoming. I'm looking foward to going again after the holidays.
4) Just as the snow hit Seattle, the weather warmed up here. Its been between 6 and 8 degrees this week. We've even seen the sun.
5) Bryce and I both have started French lessons. He goes twice a week and I go once a week. It is very fast paced and we are both a bit overwhelmed. The class is and hour and a half long. After an hour, I'm totally cooked.
6) I'm going to attempt to cook a turkey for our dinner on Christmas Day. It'll be my first turkey. I bought a roasting pan at Ikea. I'll be calling my mom for step by step directions.
7) We went to the Christmas Market in the city center yesterday.
8) We're planning a small get- away after Christmas to Heidelburg.
9) Bryce is *loving* our British satelite tv. He can watch soccer to his heart's content now. This afternoon it was Arsenal vs. Liverpool.