Monday, December 8

Doily Angels

Spending so much time in the grocery stores these days I couldn't help but notice the array of doilies available here. I purchased a pack, my crafting juices started flowing and voila - The Doily Angel. She's sweet. She's angelic. And she's versatile - add some ribbon and she's an ornament, scatter her and a few of her friends on the table with some votives and she's a centerpiece, add her to a plate with a name card and she's a place card, let your girls see her and she's a toy. Wanna make your own? Here's how:

MaterialsGet pipe cleaners & glitter too

+++++Got your materials? Let's get started!+++++


1) Start with 2 doilies (1 is okay, but they're more stable with 2.) Cut into the middle.
2) Wrap around into a cone.
3) Cut the extra doily piece out from inside the cone
4) This extra piece will become her wings
5) Cut the top of the cone off - start with a little snip, you can always make it bigger later (aim for a hole SMALLER than the one pictured.)
6) Fold the extra doily piece to make her wings
7) Put glue down the middle of the wings and attach to the seam in the cone
8) Add glitter if desired (crummy picture, sorry!)
9) Attach head by putting pipe cleaners through the hole. Add a bit of glue to the bottom of her head if desired.

Angel Heads
First and foremost if you have plain wooden clothes pins use those! This project would be much easier, I suspect. I couldn't find any here so I started by using some ceder moth balls I found. What a pain! Then after locating a craft store (thanks Catherine) I used some wooden beads. Then I found some paper mache balls, with only one hole. These were the best as they're lighter than wood, less expensive, and only have one hole. The directions that follow are if you're using beads or paper mache balls.

1) Cut a piece of pipe cleaner about 6 inches long. Fold it in half.
2) Put the folded end into the hole of the bead or ball

3) Now you have something to hold on to while you paint (now you can see why clothes pins would be so much easier.) Paint the face. I used matte paint pens. These were great for the hair, but too time consuming for the face. I recommend using acrylic paint and a paint brush. I used a fine sharpie for the eyes and mouth. I used a pink crayon for the cheeks.

4) After the face dries you can glue on the halo (or wait and do it last.) I cut up a sliver branch ornament that I found as I couldn't locate silver pipe cleaners. I used Elmer's glue, but would have used my glue gun if I had it.

Have fun! Send me pictures of your little angels.

I have a few more doily ditties for you. Check back soon.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Awww-those are SO cute! Holly

Annie said...

That is so cute! I've been admiring your header photo the last few days. :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, these are SO sweet! I'll be linking.

hillcountrymidwife@gmail.com Serving Austin and the Hill Country of Texas said...

These are charming!

Marie said...

These are so sweet! Thank you for sharing!

Road Trippers said...

These little angles are so sweet and I love the one at the top of your home page. If only I were crafty...

Amanda said...

I am writing to request permission to reprint this adorable project on Craftown.com. We would of course respect your copyright and give you full credit and will happily link back to your blog. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Thanks!

Amanda Formaro
Chief Editor - Craftown.com
http://craftown.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...