Wednesday, July 6

Chips and Crisps

In addition to their super fun language I also love the food culture of the English. No, it doesn't mean that I want to tuck into a steak and kidney pie. It just means that I have so enjoyed learning about (and sometimes trying) the food that is unique to them.


brown sauce ~ mash ~ golden syrup ~ treacle ~ Marmite ~ double cream ~ fairy cakes ~ buns ~ pies ~ puddings ~ cakes ~ gherkins ~ Jaffa cakes ~ lager ~ mince ~ mushy peas ~ lemonade ~ sponge ~ porridge ~ Pimms ~ sweets ~ take-aways ~ tins of tomatoes ~ cider ~ biscuits ~ courgettes ~ aubergine ~ bangers ~ sweet corn ~ ginger beer ~ iced lollys


Making Flapjacks
On a girls weekend in London back in January I was introduced to another - Flapjacks! To an American a flapjack is a pancake. To the English it is a delicious cake purchased at Marks and Spencer. Sold in tubs and priced at 2 for 4£ they are impossible to resist.
Golden Syrup
I found a recipe online and tried my hand at making my own Flapjacks. Tasty but nothing like the real deal. If you ever visit a Marks and Spencer you *must* buy a tub. Or 2.



Potters said...

The pictures already made me curious. And then I checked the recipe online, oats, sugar, butter. Yes, please! Your speaking my language. :)

jojoebi said...

try my recipe, there is a printout to go with it...

American in Bath said...

Yum. And I am not allowed to have them because I enjoy them soo much.

Alex said...

Noooooo....although M&S is a British institution, their flapjacks are not the real deal. You have to make them yourself - sometimes they come out a little crunchy - sometimes chewy. But home made trumps shop bought any day. With added addition of being able to lick the bowl out.

Dana said...

Thanks for the tip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...