Thursday, January 29

Ready, get set . . .SEW!

photo by Domestic Ambitions

The squares are making their way through the mail and the time to start creating our charm quilts is now. A few over achievers have already started ~ Kayce, Carrie, I'm talking about you! To start us off, I thought it might be helpful to have a down and dirty piecing tutorial.

Piecing Basics
4 patch block



1. Put 2 squares right sides together. Sew them together on one side, 1/4 inch from the edge. Most quilt block piecing is done with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

2. Keep the squares closed and iron the stitching.

3. Iron the seam to the dark fabric - think "Iron to the dark side." An easy way to do this is to set your sewn squares on the ironing board with the dark fabric on top. Pull the dark fabric back and iron open. This will cause the seam allowance to go to the dark fabric side. If there is not a dark side, then just iron to any ol' side. Seams pressed to one side are stronger than seams pressed open.

4. Now you have a 2 patch!! Make one more.

5. Place your 2 patches right sides together. Make sure the seam allowances are going in opposite directions from each other. You will feel it when they fit in together. This is called "butting the seams" together.

5 1/2. Sew your 2 patches together, using a 1/4 seam allowance (of course.) Follow steps 2 and 3.

6. 4 patch is finished!

You could easily create a charm quilt like this vintage one or this one I made for Baby Beckett, using 4 patches. Tomorrow I'll post some alternate designs that would work for a charm quilt. If you have some ideas, I'd love to hear about 'em!

We started a flickr group for the SCRAPDOWN. Take a peek.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Katy,
if for some reason someone drops out of the swap, I'd love to jump in in their place...we had a baby last week, and I evidently checked your blog right before & right after you put the swap up LOL
Happy stitching!

Domestic Ambitions said...

Katy,
I love that you used one of my pics! Thanks. I haven't had electricity at my house since my post on Tuesday so I had to leave my house. I'm at my parents 3 hours away with little computer access. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I can't wait to get home and get started!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I just discovered your blog and am happy to learn about the "Scrapdown". A good project to see us through the winter months! I have to say that I really feel like we're living somewhat similar situations, this may sound peculiar coming from a a complete stranger, but I too have recently (well in the last year) moved abroad and thoroughly enjoy your take on your experiences...It makes me laugh and sympathize as I too struggle with a foreign language! Thanks for providing details to undertake the project! Hope it's ok if we aren't in the official scrapdown group!
Sincerely,

Marcelle up in Sweden dealing with the rather short days though they are thankfully and finally getting longer!

Unknown said...

Have to say Katy that my mom was tickled pink to be in a pix in your blog - even though she cut the wrong size squares - she is loving this project

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...