Tuesday, August 11

It's "Mine"

My Grandmother told me that after you've made something enough times it becomes yours, even if it didn't start out that way. It is in that spirit that I share My Coffee Cake* recipe with you. Every time my sister comes to visit I have a pan of it waiting for her. This time was no exception.

This cake is for those of you who like more crumb than cake in your coffee cake. For this coffee cake is all about the crumb topping. It is not for the weak or faint of heart. It starts with 2 sticks of butter and goes from there. Get the idea. Serve it once and they'll ask for it again. Hey, it may even become your coffee cake.

Coffee Cake

2 T Canola oil, plus more for pan
4 cups flour, plus more for dusting

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1 large egg

1/2 cup milk

2 t vanilla

1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed

1 1/2 t ground cinnamon

1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Powdered sugar for dusting
9 X 12 inch jelly roll pan

1) Place rack in center of oven and heat to 325 degrees. Lightly brush baking pan with canola oil, dust with flour, and tap to remove excess. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a second bowl whist together egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.

2) Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and set aside. In a medium bowl combine remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over flour mixture and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form.


3) Sprinkle crumbs over batter and bake, rotating pan after 10 minutes. Continue baking until a cake tester comes out clean about 10 minutes more.


4) Cool on a wire rack. Dust heavily with powdered sugar. Cut into 3 inch squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


The cake is a bit moister and holds together better the second day. Some times if I'm feeling a bit punchy I add more cinnamon. As for the pan, I use a smaller jelly roll pan. It is 9 X 12 inches and about 1.5 inches tall. Don't use a regular size cookie sheet, it is too big.

*Clearly this isn't my recipe. It is called Sara Foster's NY Crumb Cake. I saw a Martha Stewart Living episode on TV about 9 years ago where Sara made this cake. I've been making it ever since. It is only mine in the sense that I've made it so many times, friends and family now refer to it as mine.

7 comments:

This Girl loves to Talk said...

YUM... looks good and fairly easy.. not a common cake in Australia... might have to make it mine and wow my friends here.. LOL

Potters said...

I remember you made this Coffee Cake on a trip to the Ocean with Stacy. And it was the best!! I have thought about it many many times. And now when I make it I'll be referring to it as "Katy's Coffee Cake"...just like that Brownie recipe of yours~!!

Jessica said...

I'm going to have breakfast at the beach this weekend and I think I'll bring your coffee cake!

Lena said...

not sure why you did NOT make this for me when you were here. You know how much I love it.
love
your other BIL Erik

Unknown said...

I have to say that I have this recipe in my own cookbook and its called Katy's Coffee Cake...so my friend it really is yours. xo S

Road Trippers said...

Oh, my oh my, I've had your recipe for some time and it just might be time to make this deliciousness again!

ksjjpalmer said...

I'm making this for a baby shower that I am going to tomorrow. I'm going to have to improvise on the pan. Where the heck do you get a 9X12 jelly roll pan?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...