Wednesday, February 24

Kids on Skis

Oh, I was terribly nervous about all aspects of kids on skis - the cold fingers, clunky boots, slippery snow, missing gloves, bunchy socks, and need to use the potty. Seemed there were too many variables to keep in place, too much could go wrong. The good news was that we were with friends who were going through the same thing as us. That way we could debrief, support and drink together at the end of each day. An absolute necessity. Turns out getting 4 children ready for ski lessons requires a minimum 4 adults - there was lunch to prepare, clothing to gather, boots to put on, skis and poles to carry, fears to calm and lots of tears to wipe away. Yes, this endeavor required 4 adults.

We put Eva in ski lessons for 2 hours a day for 6 days! She was in class with her friends whom we traveled with. Audrey wasn't old enough for lessons so we dropped her off for an hour a day at the Piou-Piou Club, Ski Kindergarten.

Instead of a warm and fuzzy, nurturing ski teacher the girls had a 65 year old Frenchman and a class size of 8! Not exactly a child/teacher ratio suitable for one on one attention. In the end though, the girls learned how to ski. They also had a confidence and independence that blew me away.
After their last lesson we all took a run together. I was beaming with pride to watch Eva confidently get on the tug lift and eagerly head down the slope. She couldn't wait to show us how fast she could go. And she did go fast, as fast as her little snowplow would take her. No need for turning, just a deep snowplow, straight down the mountain. So funny to watch. We did the run a few more times, Audrey skiing between Bryce's legs, Eva plowing down the hill and me following. It was a fantastic feeling. For all of us.


10 comments:

This Girl loves to Talk said...

ahhh this brings back memories! it doesnt snow where I live, and i have only seen snow twice!! my family went on a big snow trip (within australia) when I was a teen.

Lucky for me my ski instructor was HOT and young and European! such a novelty for us Australians!!

now I want to take my kids skiing.. none of them have ever seen snow.. my 3 year old says can we go to the country far far away where it snows?? she asked this at christmas - I think all the snow themed christmas stuff had her entrigued

se7en said...

Oh how cute is that!!! That is awesome - those teeny tiny people skiing all on their own... Well done!!! From a land where it never snows this is awesome... just the thought of having to find somewhere to store all the kit leaves me shuddering, we would need an extra room for hats and gloves and mitts and who knows what else!!!

likeschocolate said...

So glad you had a great time skiing. The first photo is so cool.

Lisa said...

Yeah, I was so curious how they did when I saw the photos. I am really excited to get the girls up on the ski hill. Hope it goes as well for them.

Potters said...

So excited for you all, how fun and what a great vacation! Your girls are adorable all suited up. I can't wait for my girls to be old enough for ski lessons! However, like you, I am not excited about the layers of clothing, too many moving parts and stuff to manage.

What a great memory for you guys!

Emily Malate said...

Made my heart melt thinking about those two in little mittens with rosy cold cheeks! Great job Katy and Bryce for having the patience and motivation to give your girls such amazing experiences. (Made me miss Daisy a little bit ;)

swissluxi said...

So glad that you had a great time skiing! And so jealous :-).
Looking forward to seeing you and your girls again soon, it's been too long!
P.S. You should do the HGTV show ;-)!

Irini said...

Wow! That looks so fun! The girls are growing up so much. I love all the photos of your life abroad. Hope all is well.

Dana said...

wow. those kids are troopers! would have loved to see the 65 year old Frenchman interact with the little kids -- Will they get another chance to be on skis this season?

Road Trippers said...

You have confirmed that this is TOO much work for me at this point in my life. Thomas is always after me, and now I know that my intuition has been spot on. Three kids, two adults. According to you, we are one adult short to have a good time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...