Friday, March 1

Hawaiian Flora

Orchard

My sister and BIL have an orchard behind their house.  We took a stroll through it.  The fruits that grow there are so different than what grows here in the Pacific NW.  An orchard here could have apples, pears, cherries, peaches, plums.  Have a look at what is found in Hawaii -

Avocado Tree
Bananas
Dried Banana Leaf
Orchard
Meyer Lemon
Papaya
Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia Nuts
Guava
Guava
From Top to bottom:
Avocado tree (my dream!) bananas (love the huge purple blossom) Dried banana leaves are fun, Meyer lemon, papaya tree, macadamia nuts on the tree, mac nut from the ground, guava, open guava.

The orchard is complete with wild pigs who show up at night to eat the macadamia nuts that have fallen from the trees.  How they get them open is a mystery to me.  My sister told me there is going to be a reality show about wild pig hunters on the Big Island.  Who knew? 

1 comment:

Jennifer R. said...

Wow, really amazing. Can you imagine having an avocado tree?? Guacamole all the time!

I meant to comment on your last post that I'm sorry you're dealing with plantar fasciitis. I've had that too (along with all my other issues), and the stretches really help. It usually takes a few weeks of daily stretching for my flareups to go away. Have you seen a doctor about it?

I do hope you'll keep blogging. I like hearing about what you're doing and seeing your lovely photos. Love the pic of Eva on this post. She is getting so big!

And, by the way, I think you owe me an email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...