Wednesday, September 10

1 Oven Mitt

This is what I *was* planning to make as Christmas gifts. However, I'm slowly accepting the reality that I can't do all the sewing I'd like to AND get us prepared to move to another country. Sigh. So here it is - 1 oven mitt. Merry Christmas to us.

I used some of my old jeans as fabric and some light weight vintage canvas for the inside. I used Insul-Bright batting. I followed the procedure in Denyse Schmidt's book although I made my own template - just traced a Crate and Barrel oven mitt we have. I also used bias tape to finish the edge. Must have looked at this tutorial 5 times trying to get it right. In the end I decided that bias tape was not my best friend and was not invited to my birthday party. Sewing the rest of the mitt was a breeze.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

What a cute way to repurpose old jeans. I laughed out loud when I read you were not inviting bias tape to your birthday party. Thanks for sharing the idea.

' said...

Perhaps a wider biased tape is more your type of friend??? Looks cute! Great idea!

Dee Light said...

I love the oven mit. Denim was a great choice, and I love that it is repurposed!! Bias Tape and I aren't the best friends either. we're getting along better, but we still have issues.

Moving is always a challenge. I can't imagine preparing to move to another country.

Hautemama said...

WOW - That is a really nice oven mitt! I bought the pampered chef ones a few years ago, and they just now look like they could be replaced.... I'm not sure if I have it in me to attempt that though - yours looks perfect!

* elizabeth * said...

and was not invited to my birthday party. LMSO.
I think it looks great. And I never get all my crafting done that I want to for the holidays. And I never move to another country!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...