Friday, August 27

(not quite) vintage europe

While in Seattle this summer I made a little visit to our storage unit. One of the items I was after was a photo album from my first trip to Europe. I loved the idea of comparing photos from then, 1996, and now.

After college Bryce and I set off with backpacks (after spending a cushy week with my parents in Tuscany) and a Eurorail pass to see the wonders of Europe. It was my first trip to Europe and Bryce's second, he went with his class in high school. I was pretty intimidated by the thought of the trip - the languages, trains, cities, and unknowns. I wanted to have every hotel pre-booked and all train reservations made before we left. Obviously, I didn't understand how easy it is to move around here. I was a bit neurotic. Bryce was very patient with me and we settled somewhere in the middle, with a fair amount of reservations set.

We started out the trip in Tuscany, seeing Florence, Sienna, San Gimiano and a handful of smaller hill top towns. We then ventured forth to Zermatt, Paris, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Brussels, Antwerp, Bonn, and Lubeck; obviously not in that order.

I thought it would be fun to share some of these pictures with you. I'm starting a series of posts called, (not quite) vintage europe where I'll share a photo or two. Maybe it'll inspire you to dust off your (not quite) vintage travel pictures and reminisce with me.

(not quite) vintage europe - tuscany

8 comments:

Dana said...

Can't wait to see them!
I would have been scared out of my pants to set off on that kind of trip -- too much fear of the unknown & lack of control. Of course, now it's no problem. But, then again, the older I get, the fewer things scare me out of my pants . . .
okay .... enough. looking forward to the pics.

Haute Goat Reclaimed Cashmere said...

I'm looking forward to the series! My first trip to Europe sans parents started out with me as a vegetarian and ended 10 days later with me eating steak tartare...

Emily said...

Did you get a scanner? How are you putting text on your almost vintage photos??

se7en said...

Oh I love it... it's a bit of a shocker to discover our travels are getting pretty vintage too. It feels like last week we were island hopping - without kids - yup a fair while ago!!!

likeschocolate said...

I am up for a good challange. How fun!

katy said...

Dana - I was scared out of my pants. But I really wanted to do it!

Haute Goat - Hilarious!!

Emily - We have a scanner, but I just took a pic of the picture. As for the writing I did it on flickr. Just edit in Picnic and go to CREATE and then click TEXT. Easy peasey.

Se7en - Yes, they seem like just yesterday but also a million years ago (and vintage.) Please tell me my photos are not *really* vintage, how depressing.

Likeschocolate - Yay!

Angela said...

Love it!!! I can't wait to see more!!! So much fun to compare past and present.

Road Trippers said...

wow, I needed 5 more pictures on this post. One shot at a time is simply not enough. I can't believe how old my travels are as well...at least you're still at it, taking a fresh look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...