This year I sewed the girls' photo onto felt cut into the shape of a Christmas tree ornament. I think the result is pretty cute. Here are the directions in case you'd like to make a few yourself.
Use photo paper for your pictures. Computer paper is too thin.
Send me an email if you'd like the ornament templates. As you know, I haven't figured out how to add a pdf to my posts. ugh.
1) Trace your ornament template onto the felt. Cut out.
2) Glue photo onto felt ornament. This prevents it from slipping around while you're sewing it.
3. Sew around the edge of the photo. I used a straight stitch but you could use a zig zag.
4. Pin ornament onto a piece of felt. Cut a 4 inch piece of trim, fold it in half and place it between the ornament and the piece of felt.
5. Sew around the edge of the ornament. Leave a small opening for stuffing.
6. Cut the excess felt off. Be careful not to cut off your hanger.
7. Stuff ornament with desired amount of stuffing. I lightly stuffed mine.
8. Sew opening up. I did it on the sewing machine.
Here is a photo ornament from a few years ago.