Monday, June 20

Little Difference #37

Rolling coins
Little Difference #37 - Coins

A funny little detail to attend to before moving back to the States - rolling loose change. We've collected quite a bit. As I watched the girls counting and rolling I realized why we have so much. There are twice as many coins in Europe as in America.

In the States we have the penny (1), nickel (5), dime (10) and quarter(25) - 4 different coins. The Euro coin denominations are 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 1 euro, 2 euros - 8 coins. The 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 cent coins collect very quickly in the change bowl.Even after nearly 3 years here I still fumble around for coins in my coin purse. There are too many of them. The 1, 2, 5 are the same color; a dark copper color. The 10, 20, and 50 are gold. It is impossible to find the proper coin in a dark coin purse. The 1 cent coins are tiny! Smaller than a dime (for you Americans.)counting coins

I also think that having 1 euro and 2 euros as a coin, mentally diminishes its value. It doesn't seem like what it is (especially if I think of it in dollars.) Bills seem like "real" money or something substantial. But the coins here can add up very fast into something "real." The first bill in the Euro is a 5 euro bill.

BTW, if you're looking to keep your kids occupied have them roll coins. My kids loved this. After the first day they asked to do it the next. They even asked about it in the car on the way home from school.
Rolling coins
What are the coin denominations where you live?

Read all the Little Differences here.

10 comments:

Suzee said...

I would be so confused with Euros! lol I'm in the states. We also have .50cent pieces, and 1.00$ coins.I don't like the 1$ coins as they almost the same size as the quarter and I have used them thinking them as quarters! grrr Me and my husband collects the .50 cent pieces. He has a coin collection from all over the world as well. ( he was military and stationed everywhere!) and I have had friends from Sweden sent me different coins as well.

katy said...

Suzee - Yes we have 50 cent pieces but they are not really common . . .at least in Seattle. As for the 1$ coins, I thought they were issued for a limited time or for something special. They aren't in regular circulation are they? I haven't been gone that long :) Or have I?

jojoebi-designs said...

in Japan we have ¥1, ¥5, ¥10, ¥50, ¥100, ¥500 the 1,50, 100 and 500 are silver, the 5 and 50 have a hole in the middle.

When I am trying to save foe something i refuse to spend any ¥500 coins ($6) so it soon adds up, the ¥1 are a royal pain because they are so small and light

This Girl loves to Talk said...

we have 50 cents and one and two dollar coins in australia and I have to say I think the opposite of what you said!! lol (Its really just what you grow up with!!)

I found that in the states I was sick and tired of carrying wads of notes and not really having any money of value! lol it did make me feel rich at first.. but seriously coins are cool :) and easy for me to give the children the 10 and 20 cent pieces for their money box.

ksjjpalmer said...

Jacob gets a gold Sakajuwea dollar coin from the tooth fairy. (Just so you know what she pays in this neighborhood). You have to visit the bank to get a stash of them though. He has used them to pay for things he wants. I don't like it when I have them in my coin purse though. I forget about them.

The Expatresse said...

I bought a coin holder here. it's round and metal (but light) and holds all the Euro coins in separate stacks. Makes whipping out exact change a breeze.

I have finally learned that the 20 cent coin has "ruffles" on the edges and the 50 cent coin just has ridges all the way around.

Anita said...

I have totally adapted to the €1 and €2 coins - and I wish the US would get rid of the dollar bill and give us something similar. Dollar bills get worn too quickly.

Where did you get the coin sleeves for rolling? I have a bucket of change I would love to roll.

katy said...

Hi Anita - just go into your bank and ask for them. They are free. Good luck!

American in Bath said...

In England, coins aren't rolled; they're bagged. Drives me bananas. I used to be able to tell how much was in a roll by its length.

We have 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1pound, and 2pound coins. Five pence coins are uber tiny.

When I'm on the continent, I can't tell what I have or what the value is. One day, I'll get the hang of it.

sheppy said...

This is really late in the game, but I would like to point out that Euro coins are easy to read since you have the value stamped on them, which are the same as their names.

In the US you have:
Pennies = one cent as printed on coin
Nickels = five cents as printed on coin
Dimes = ten cents, which is not printed on coins
Quarters = twenty-five cents, not printed, but logical

not very easy for foreigners!

Sorry, just wanted to put my two-cents in :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...