Wednesday, September 26

Creamed Spinach

Low Carb Creamed Spinach
Today I'm going to talk about creamed spinach.  It is a topic I never thought would appear on my blog.  But here it is, like it or not.

It was the Boursin in this recipe that caught my eye.  I do like that stuff.  After reading the rest of the ingredients I thought I'd give it a go.  Glad I did.  It was delicious and very versatile.  Naturally Bryce nor the girls would partake with me.  I've nearly resigned myself to the fact that I'm the only one in the family who will eat vegetables.  It's kinda a bummer.  But whatcha gonna do?  Can't force feed.

I saw the recipe in a booklet that I received in the mail for subscribing to Sunset Magazine.  It is called Cuisine at Home.  I adapted the recipe quite a bit removing as many carbohydrates as possible - flour, bread crumbs and milk.  So in addition to being delicious it is low carb - if that is important to you.  It is to me.  At least right now.

Herewith is your road map to creamy goodness:

Creamed Spinach with Boursin

1/2 cup diced onion
1 T butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pkg. Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese (5.2 oz)
1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dray of moisture (10oz)
2 T grated Parmesan
1.5 t lemon zest (this makes the dish!)
Roasted pine nuts or sliced almonds

Method

1) Saute onion in 1 T of butter.

2) Wisk in heavy cream and simmer for 1 minute or so.

3) Stir in Boursin, a little at a time and wisk until completely incorporated and smooth.

4) Remove from heat and add spinach, Parmesan, zest

5) At this point you could place it in a buttered, glass pie pan, sprinkle the nuts on top and bake at 425 OR put it in some Tupperware and store it in the fridge to use with other dishes.

If you don't eat this as a side dish (so great with steak) here are some other ways to use it:  As an omelet filling, placed over chicken breasts and baked, stuffed inside chicken breasts, stirred into rice or quinoa to add interest or placed on a sandwich instead of mayo or other condiments.

Try it and let me know how it goes!




2 comments:

likeschocolate said...

You can't go wrong with Boursin!

Jennifer said...

This looks so good! Kate and I will be the only ones eating it but I think I'll make it anyway.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...