Tuesday, June 19

Tomatoes

Tomato Line Up 2012
I was so focused on deciding on what variety of tomato I wanted to grow I completely forgot all I've learned about tomatoes.  It wasn't until they were in the ground that I remembered about determinate and indeterminate varieties.  Remember when I posted about this?  I also completely forgot to put my plants in at an angle to encourage a stronger stalk.  It has been a long time since I've planted a tomato.  4 years? 

This year I planted 3 tomatoes.  It was so hard to decide.  Here are the details:

Dona Salad Tomato - I really wanted to try growing a tomato that was a non-cherry variety.  However, I didn't want a beef stake.  Seems to me with our typical Pacific NW weather beefstakes have a hard time ripening.  The Dona sounded perfect - this French market hybrid is not to be missed.  Red juicy and medium sized.  Great for sandwiches and salads.  Semi-indeterminate.  So excited!


Sugar Lump - I'll admit it, the name of this one pretty much sold me over.  It is a red heirloom cherry tomato; indeterminate.  Very sweet with productive vines.

Sungold - At the last minute I decided I must have one of these reliable producers.  Remember my monster plant that took over the raised bed?  I planted this one in a giant pot and put it at our front door.  This summer you'll be greeted with a sungold with you come to visit.

Did you plant tomatoes this year?  Which ones?

1 comment:

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

Your tomato choices look great! I haven't planted any this year, though I meant to. Do you think it's too late?
x Katherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...